Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Magic of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

I challenge you to say the scientific name of baking yeast 3 times really fast. As you can guess, I was in the kitchen making a mess and racket trying to perfect my skills as a novice baker. I prefer baking breads and buns but not pies or tarts cause frankly, no one in my family would eat it. Love the smell of fresh baked bread and how nice and warm the kitchen gets when the oven is on.

So tonight, I tried my hand at 2 different types of bread. Cinnamon raisin and feta cheese. I didn't want to make them into loaves cause I wanted the convenience of grab 'n' go on my way to work. So buns it was. I have to admit that I get lazy and don't necessarily measure ingredients to the "T". I'm not too worried since Agent Chorizo seems to like it. The last few times when I baked, the bread would dry up within a day or so. So this time I tried not to add as much flour. I will let you know in a couple of days how this plan worked.

Cinnamon Raisin Buns



Agent Chorizo liked the cinnamon buns better then the feta buns cause they has just enough sweetness to them that they could be eaten without covering it up with some overly sweet jam. He also liked that the cinnamon did not overpower the whole thing.

Feta Cheese Buns



The recipe called for olives and rosemary but I did not have either items. So I scrapped the olives all together and guess what the only spice I found in the pantry, "Mrs. Dash". That's right, the little bottle of spices used as a flavor enhancer for those trying to cut back on their salt intake was my secret ingredient. I figure this was going to a savory bun with the feta cheese so why won't Mrs. Dash work on this bun recipe. I checked the ingredients of Mrs. Dash and it does has some rosemary in it. I liked this bun better then the cinnamon bun cause I thought this would be a perfect pair to a creamy pasta dish. I will have to convince Agent Chorizo that it's his turn to cook tomorrow.


Mme. Chorizo

No comments: