Saturday, April 2, 2011

Roadblocks

It was a nice day off and my sewing machine was whizzing away when roadblock #1 appeared. I ran out of beige coloured thread. Okay, no problem. A small road trip to the store to get some thread. I had to go sooner or later cause I had to get thread for the quilting part. So I picked up a jumbo spool of variegated blue thread for the top.

I did the "thread" test and it looks really nice over the blues, blacks and whites.




Roadblock #1 solved. So I continued to sew some more and stopped when I had all but the last row of bento box block to sew on. Roadblock #2. I totally forgot that the batting I usually use is 90" wide. This means if I sewed another row of blocks, it would make the quilt measure 75" x 90". Doesn't sound like a problem but it is. I have made it a standard for all the quilts I make to have some sort of border. I think it makes the quilt look polished and well thought out. As you can see, I didn't really think this one thoroughly.

So I decided that the last row of bento box blocks will go on the back and just finish the front with a simple black fabric border like I had plan. I will let you know later how this new plan has worked out.

No comments: