Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Growing Love for Ikea

I have been going to Ikea many times in the last 3 months because we are renovating our kitchen and I was looking for containers for the floral arrangements I was asked to make for my work's Christmas Party. Ikea may not have everything with the best quality but they are not dollar store quality nor do they have Ethan Allen price tags. I am not crazy about their textile designs or some of their furniture designs but over all, u can find something in Ikea that would suit your everyday needs.

Something else that I really love about Ikea is their "Wacky Wednesday" sale. Every Wednesday they have one or two items on sale for 40 % or more. So far since I have been checking the weekly sale, they have put large bookcases to children's toys to medium size dressers for a nice discount. And it seems that every Ikea location across Canada has something else on sale. So if you have friends or relatives in Calgary/Richmond/Montreal/Ottawa, you might have to ask for a big favor.

On top of the weekly sale, Ikea is also having a Midnight Madness Winter Sale this Friday (Dec 12). They did not specify what items were going to be on sale but I really like the sound of "up to 50% many items in the store".

As for the containers for the floral arrangements, here is how I turned a $0.75 bowl into this


How about a long white glass container into various colorful orchids centrepiece


Last but not least, a glass bowl for 2 large arrangements




And the last thing I love about Ikea is a blog called "Ikeahacker". This is a site where people all over the world share how they took an Ikea product and changed it into another product to suite their design need. Two of my favorite hacks are the Home Office:

They took a couple of bookcases, drawer unit, table top
and others to create a very functional with lots of storage space for a home office. Smart, eh?

The other one was this tv stand with a hidden space for a subwoofer. This hacker took a tv cabinet, 3 cabinet doors and speaker fabric and made a fashionable stand.



Happy Ikea shopping

Mme. Chorizo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice flower work Mme. your big showy ones are awesome. keep it up.