Friday, January 9, 2009

Guess How Many Legos

Remember your Lego set back when we were little? My favorite was the house set. Love the little flowers that i can "plant" anywhere on my property. I don't remember why I lost interest in them but I do remember that I was frustrated with them cause some of the bricks were nearly impossible to take apart if they were the same size and stacked on top of each other. I also remember I left a few bite marks on them cause I wasn't allowed to use my dad's tools. Can you imagine what my Legos would have looked like if I was?!

For most people our Lego pieces are buried somewhere in our parent's basement in ice cream pails or shoe boxes. However, one man from New York decided to dust off his colored bricks and built sculptures with them. Nathan Sawaya has his work on exhibit that is touring North America currently. His exhibit is called "The Art of the Brick" and it is currently in Edmonton, AB, at the Odyssium until May 2009. He has created sculptures of all sizes and portraits to boot. I haven't check out all of his creations on his website but these are some of my favorites.


Lots of his work is commissioned from companies that want something unique or to show case big events. This house sculpture was for the Homes for the Homeless 20th anniversary. I think my Lego house set is probably 1/32 of his house sculpture. Love the brick chimney and the climbing vines beside it. All he needs is some lego flowers to spruce up the garden.


It's always fun to read about people who can create a career out of something that most people would consider for child's play only. What would you create next?

Mme. Chorizo

No comments: