Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some Leftovers

I was trying something different today. Just some experimenting. To be technical, I think it's called pave. On top of the different style, I was also using flowers that is not normally used this way. Green gladiolus and delphiniums. Both are normally used to create height or increase size of an arrangement but when you have left overs, you just can't throw them out. There is something so feminine and elegant about the petals of a gladiolus flower. I put them in a bride's bouquet once and was it ever heavy! The stem is so much thicker and full of water. As for delphiniums, they are up there as a favorite. Mostly because of the colors but there is also something about the shape of the flower. Unfortunately, delphiniums has the least staying power in cut flower world. They are very sensitive and petals will fall off before the flowers open at the top of the stem. They also don't like to be bunched up tightly. They need room to breath. Oh, by the way, I am referring to the hybrid delphiniums. The regular ones don't have as nice of petals and don't come in as pretty colors. If you are lucky, you can get them in blueish/violet/lavender colors, all on one stem. See how there are different shades of blue in the arrangement? Yes, they all came from the same stem of delphinium.



Top view





I can't stop staring at the arrangement. I think it might just follow me back to the bedroom to wake me up in the morning. *Sigh* So pretty.

No comments: